[RC5] d.net project: indexing the web

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 15:56:54 EDT 1999

> 1) (to the best of my knowledge) most well developed distributed
> computing  network in existence today

Yes and no.  We're the most well developed distributed computing
network _of_our_type_.  The work we can do is limited by the slow and
unreliable links between our nodes.

> 2) d.net developers and participants are well aware of privacy
> issues, and anything they build in this line will be privacy 'compliant'

Agreed.

> 3) a proprietary version of this is doomed to failure, nobody will
> trust it and it wouldn't get broadly enough used.

I agree on the trust part, not on the wouldn't get used part.

> What does everybody else think?

I don't think it would work, certainly not for online searches the way
we do them now at Altavista or Google.  BUT if the user is prepared to
submit a query and wait a few days or weeks for an emailed result,
_that's_ something we could handle.  That way we don't need a central
database of everything.

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the
 kind of person I'm preaching to."
    -- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net