[RC5] NT 4.0 service client - auto start/stop?

Neil Muspratt neil at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Tue Jul 13 01:40:06 EDT 1999

I have the Win32 service client running on several NT 4.0 Workstation
machines to which I have admin rights. I've been trying to figure out
a way to start and stop some clients automatically, either locally or
(preferably) remotely from my own NT 4.0 Workstation PC.

I can start/stop the clients remotely from my PC with the NETSVC.EXE
command line utility (part of the NT 4.0 Resource Kit) but this only
works interactively - I can't automate the process using a batch file
executed by the AT scheduler. I guess this is because AT doesn't have
admin privileges when it runs programs. I had the same problem when I
tried using NET START and NET STOP in batch files that were executed
by AT locally on the remote machines.

Is there someone out there who has successfully done this sort of thing
and can give me some pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be very useful if the client had the ability to switch itself
on and off automatically during the day at whatever times you preset in
the .INI file.

Moo!

| Neil Muspratt SP3.58 KoX                neil at gargoyle.apana.org.au |
| Brisbane Australia                                                 |

A guilty conscience is the mother of invention.

- Carolyn Wells

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net