[RC5] NT 4.0 service client - auto start/stop?

Bruce Ford b.ford at qut.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 11:51:19 EDT 1999

> Is there someone out there who has successfully done this sort of thing
> and can give me some pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> It would be very useful if the client had the ability to switch itself on
> and off automatically during the day at whatever times you preset in the
> .INI file.

The client will run for a specified number of hours either using the
'-h <hours>' or '-until <HH:MM>' command line options or
'hours=<hours>' in the .ini file.  For the service version of the client
the command line options need to be added to the registry value
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\rc5desnt\ImagePath.

An option for starting and stopping is to configure a pause file with
'-pausefile <filename>' or 'pausefile=<filename>' in the .ini file.
Creating or deleting the pause file then stops or starts the client.

However stopping and starting the service is probably better and
should be possible if you change the account that the schedule
service uses on the machine you are running the 'at' commands
from.

In case Herman's advice about the schedule service was not clear,
to get the commands you run using 'at' to run with your rights you
need to go: Settings/Control Panel/Services/Schedule/Startup/This
Account and enter your administration account name and
password. Remember to change the domain if appropriate.  You
then need to stop and start the Schedule service.

Bruce Ford                                      b.ford at qut.edu.au
Systems Programmer
Teaching and Learning Support Services          Ph: +61 7 3864 1178
Queensland University of Technology

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net