[RC5] NT 4.0 service client - auto start/stop?

Alex Bischoff abischof at fore.com
Tue Jul 13 17:15:48 EDT 1999

At 10:40 am 7-12-1999 , you wrote:
>I have the Win32 service client running on several NT 4.0 Workstation
>machines to which I have admin rights. I've been trying to figure out
>a way to start and stop some clients automatically, either locally or
>(preferably) remotely from my own NT 4.0 Workstation PC.

I'm in this same boat. Read below for what I've figured out so far.

>Is there someone out there who has successfully done this sort of thing
>and can give me some pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

According to the docs of the latest service/command-line client:

         Some 'interactive' functionality may be achieved by enabling logging
         to file and by using the client's command line -shutdown, -restart,
         -pause and -unpause options.

However, I tried this (I'm running the service on nt4), and I get:

         No distributed.net clients are currently running. None were paused.

I know it's running, though, as I can see the client in my task list <g>.
Perhaps this feature is only for the command-line client... My thinking
was, if this worked, I could share a drive on the remote system and run
this command remotely to pause the client. But, of course, this would only
cause it to pause the client on the local machine :(.

What would be better for this kind of thing would be support for
"pause.now", and "resume.now", much like the current "exit.now" (I think
that's the right filename). That is, currently, if the client ever
encounters the file "exit.now", it exits immediately; likewise, if this
feature was added, then it would pause itself if it encountered "pause.now".

>It would be very useful if the client had the ability to switch itself
>on and off automatically during the day at whatever times you preset in
>the .INI file.

That would be ideal, and has been on the coders' to-do list for some time.
Maybe some day :). In the mean time, that functionality could be simulated
if anyone knows of a win32 cron port, preferable one that is hideable.

Please e-mail me if you figure anything out :).

   Alex Bischoff                                       abischof at fore.com
export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-2-lines-PERL