[RC5] NT 4.0 service client - auto start/stop?

Ron Macpherson ron.macpherson at elgas.com.au
Mon Jul 19 11:30:12 EDT 1999

>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:40:06 +1000
>From: Neil Muspratt <neil at gargoyle.apana.org.au>
>Subject: [RC5] NT 4.0 service client - auto start/stop?
>
>I have the Win32 service client running on several NT 4.0 Workstation
>machines to which I have admin rights. I've been trying to figure out
>a way to start and stop some clients automatically, either locally or
>(preferably) remotely from my own NT 4.0 Workstation PC.
>
>I can start/stop the clients remotely from my PC with the NETSVC.EXE
>command line utility (part of the NT 4.0 Resource Kit) but this only
>works interactively - I can't automate the process using a batch file
>executed by the AT scheduler. I guess this is because AT doesn't have
>admin privileges when it runs programs. I had the same problem when I
>tried using NET START and NET STOP in batch files that were executed
>by AT locally on the remote machines.
>
>Is there someone out there who has successfully done this sort of thing
>and can give me some pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>It would be very useful if the client had the ability to switch itself
>on and off automatically during the day at whatever times you preset in
>the .INI file.
>
>Moo!
>
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Neil Muspratt SP3.58 KoX                neil at gargoyle.apana.org.au |
>| Brisbane Australia                                                 |
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>A guilty conscience is the mother of invention.
>
>- - Carolyn Wells
>
>- --

To stop and start the client remotely, you'll need the Remote Command
Server installed on the target machine and the RC5/Des client running as a
service, and the Resource Kit on your local machine.

Schedule the following command on your local machine:

rcmd \\remote-machine-name net start \"Distributed.Net RC5/DES Client\"

to start the Service. (Obviously, use "net stop" to stop it.) You'll need
your local schedule service to have admin authority.

If you can't get to the target machine to install the Remote Command Server
you can do it by copying the files to the target machine and editing the
registry. I managed to get servers in Brisbane and Melbourne up and running
with the RC5 client and the Remote Command Server without leaving Sydney.

Ron Macpherson                         mailto:ron.macpherson at elgas.com.au
Systems Programmer
Elgas Limited

Suburbia: where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net