[RC5] Next project Idea II

Ayatolla Bill ayatolla at lhq.com
Tue Jul 20 06:18:21 EDT 1999

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Robert wrote:

> Ok, no one got very excited about my last input on the next Dist. net
> project. How about NASA? I was just reading about them battling funding
> cuts. If some medical and other breakthroughs come about because of the
> space station maybe they would have some use for some horsepower.

The already have numerous monster beowulf clusters, in addition to
networked workstations, and all the borrowed resources they can handle.

How about this, a distributed sort routine for genetic engineering, gene
therapies, or diagnosis of genetic defects. It's down to earth, an a basic
monster scale simple computing process sorting routine. What is it,
several trillion base pairs in the human genome ? The ideal killer app for
a distributed network.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net