[RC5] SETI@home and RC5

Greg Mizell GMizell at peek-traffic.com
Thu Jul 22 10:11:27 EDT 1999

>For those of you torn between RC5 and SETI at home....  I've been
>able to run both the SETI at home client and the RC5-64 client
>simultaneously with a loss of only 50 Kkeys/sec.  I'm set up
>on a Pentium MMX 166MHz PC, Win 95 ver 4.00, 32MB RAM.  With
>the RC5 client V2.7106.436, I benchmarked at 350Kkeys/sec
>before running SETI at home, and then 300Kkeys/sec while running
>SETI at home version 1.06.  What's cool is that there is no
>noticeable drop in SETI at home performance.  The two clients
>seem to work well together.  And there isn't too noticeable of
>drop in desktop performance either.  Has anyone else tried
>this with success?

My experience is just the opposite. I'm running NT4 on a PII-333 and when
the SETI client runs, it uses up pretty much all the spare cycles. The poor
cow hardly gets any time at all even though both processes are running at
low priority. Consequently, the SETI client is set to run only as a screen
saver. When I'm using my computer, the cow gets all the spare cycles and
when I'm not, SETI gets most of them and the cow only gets a few.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net