[RC5] Increase that keyrate!

Alex Bischoff abischof at fore.com
Mon Jun 7 14:32:53 EDT 1999

At 08:16 PM 6-5-1999 , you wrote:
>Just a little tip for win clients: If you select the off line always option
>then your keyrate goes up. :@) I got 1.282 M K/s to 1.292 that's like a
>whole 386's difference :*))
>
>Maybee this works for others ?

I see only two problems with doing random blocks:

1. Your client won't be notified of contest changes, like DES and such..
2. My understanding of the random blocks is that they're not random over
the whole keyspace, but rather random over a controlled area (and the
"random area" is moved along once it's completely checked). So, if too many
people did random blocks, there could be some redundancy :-/.

And, from running the client on my 386 (full time!) I can confirm that your
increase of 10 kkey/s is almost exactly one 386's worth faster :).

FWIW though, I can't figure out why it'd be much faster running the client
in offline mode, other than that it wouldn't have to upload/download blocks...

  Alex Bischoff                                        abischof at fore.com
export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-2-lines-PERL
Proof That There Is Strength In Numbers --> http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net