[RC5] seti@home fraud!

Mike Faunce mfaunce at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 7 11:46:28 EDT 1999

SETI @ Home has acknowledged this and other problems.  Taken from their home
page (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu):
-----
To our users: SETI at home is off to a great start! We now have over 500,000
users, many more than we expected. This has caused some temporary problems:

* Our servers are occasionally overloaded. If you get a "Can't connect to
server" message, the problem is probably at our end, not yours.
* Our "data pipeline" is not flowing at top speed yet, so we're sending out
the same work units (mostly recorded Jan 7 and Jan 8) repeatedly. This will
be fixed shortly.
* Credit for work units and CPU time may not show up immediately in your
totals.
* Our new "Group" feature has had some problems; If you've joined a group,
you may need to get a new password and join it again.
* We're a bit overwhelmed with emails and bug reports, and won't be able to
respond to them individually. Please check our "known bugs" list carefully
before reporting problems.

We're working hard to fix these problems. With the help of new
high-performance machines from Sun Microsystems, we'll upgrade our server
capacity; this will happen in mid/late June. Soon (probably around June 10)
we'll release new versions of the client software that fix several bugs and
respond to server problems in a more user-friendly way.

So please bear with us during these "growing pains", and thanks for being
part of this incredible project.
-----
I believe the SETI at Home staff was woefully under prepared for the number of
users who decided to participate.  Reaching 500,000 users in 18 days was an
order of magnitude larger than they expected, IMHO.  Many of the problems
SETI at Home is reporting could be taken directly from D.Net's growing pains.
They are suffering from the same problems, just sooner because of the amount
of publicity they got before the project started.

Mike