[RC5] Do we check for the Pentium bug?

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Mon Jun 7 17:19:27 EDT 1999

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Aaron Kramer wrote:

> With all of the turnover in the used computer market, do any of our
> clients check for the 'buggy' pentium cpu? Just a thought...

	Which Pentium bug? And why would they need to? The F00F bug won't
affect the d.net client unless it executes a F00F for some reason (and,
since it's not a valid instruction, there's no reason). The floating point
bug won't affect any (important) d.net operations, because all the cracking
code is integer math. The Cyrix coma bug won't affect d.net, because it
doesn't execute the interrupt-disabling loop required to initiate it.
There're a couple of others listed in my /proc/cpuinfo that I don't know
anything about... "hlt_bug" and "sep_bug". I suspect the former, whatever it
might be, is not a problem, because d.net shouldn't be doing anything with
HLTs... got no clue what the latter is.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  Consider this: In the United States, an automobile is stolen EVERY
14.7 SECONDS. If that statistic scares you, think how we felt when we made
it up.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net