[RC5] seti@home fraud!

dbachman at ionet.net dbachman at ionet.net
Tue Jun 8 16:15:32 EDT 1999

> On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Paul Volcko wrote:
>
>   Even if we did, where would we go from there? We can't visit, we can't
> communicate (just try to imagine holding a conversation with question and
> answer seperated by 40 years!), so what's the point? It has absolutely no
> impact on our daily lives. Encryption on the other hand is quite important
> for privacy, so it should have more priority than a wild-goose chase where
> we don't even know wether there is a solution. But this is all IMHO, of
> course.

Some would say just the knowledge that Earth is not the only home
to life, and intelligent life at that, would justify the search.
No, 40 year turnaround time doesn't permit conversation, but
it doesn't prevent sending of one intelligence's base of knowledge
to the other. What have we thought of that another race hasn't, or
vice versa?

Encryption is far more relevant to everyone's day to day life, I
agree. But if it takes tens of thousands of computers years
to break one code, haven't you demonstrated what level of
encryption is necessary? Why continue? The time would be better
spent advocatting ditching the current standards for encryption.

Donald

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net