[RC5] Key Rate Question

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Mon Jun 14 13:06:25 EDT 1999

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:27:23 -0700, SmugFish wrote:

>pardon the intrustion, It would seem the rc5 hardware list is dead and this
>should be a simple question.
>
>Why would the 7106 GUI client be unable to run the DES benchmarks on a
>Pentium3?  I get an error msg stating 'MMX extensions required... run from
>command line'.  Just upgraded froma P2 266, problem was not there before.
>I've tried to rule out a faulty processor, but just about every benchmark,
>CPUID util, or other tool I can find at least reports P2 w/MMX, most of the
>new stuff recognized P3 w/SSE.  I'm afraid I know very little about how the
>distributed client works, and I assumed SSE was backwards compatible with
>MMX.  Could someone perhaps provide a simple explanation and/or point me to
>where I can find a more detailed one regarding what may be causing this?  I
>am using the .7111 non-gui client now, but the .7106 benchmark prob has been
>nagging me for some time, and I need to know if I have a faulty processor
>which I need to exchange.  Thanks very much for your time.
>
>apologies if this has been addressed B4, I've searched back through about a
>month of this list with no similar cases, I'm baffled.

2.7106 didn't have the cpuid of the PIII in its list, so it assumed the
PIII was an unknown processor without mmx.  The PIII cpuid has since
been added to the client.  There's no need to return your PIII.

The reason the des benchmarks and the self-test require mmx is because
our current x86 des integer cores are not thread-safe, and would cause
major problems if they were operating at the same time as a benchmark
or self-test occurred.  This is unlikely to be fixed any time soon, as
the cores are extremely complex in comparison to their rc5
counterparts, and making them thread-safe would be a huge undertaking.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at silby.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net