[RC5] RE: Distributed Computing

John F. Kennedy jfk at gol.com
Wed Jun 16 02:46:58 EDT 1999

>>I think no one can forsee what the benefits of SETI might be. I started
>>working with RC5 after joining SETI. Imagine research departments being
>>inspired by SETI and the general computing public getting involved with
>>distributed computing. The amount of possible projects and progress made
>>just using ordinary folks' computers idle time could be significant.
>

>I agree.  The threads about who is better, d.net or SETI, are irrelevant.
>The internet community is making great leaps and bounds in distributed
>computer technology.  And that's where the future of computers could
>possibly be heading.  It doesn't matter whether a processor is based on
>silicon, frickin laser beams or whatever; two of those processors are always
>going to be better than one - common sense yeah?
>
>I only hope that d.net and SETI continue to make mistakes, and then learn
>from them.  And that we get more projects coming online.

I believe as distributed computing becomes better known and tried, more and
more research will be done this way. The problem is the software has to be
developed, and distributed computing is best adapted at least for now for
basic number crunching. The thing that makes SETI so popular is that it
captures the imagination. Eventhough the chances of finding ETI through the
project are slim, the question of whether or not we're alone is so
captivating that even with the low probability of success people are ready
to give a shot.

BTW people have talked about the years that SETI may take. Actually, it is
a 2 year project, in which time it will have the searched the entire sky. I
guess the difference between RC5 and SETI, is that RC5 will eventually
reach its objective if we don't quit, whereas SETI will perform its search
but more than likely not find anything, but you never know. And as I said
in the previous posts, SETI might find other kinds of signals out there
that may advance our understanding of the universe.

John F. Kennedy
Tokyo, Japan           "Flame not lest ye be flamed"
jfk at gol.com
Visit JFK's Digital Sushi at http://www2.gol.com/users/jfk/
Find everything for your homepage at http://www.homepagenow.com
FREE Email For Life at http://mail.bigmailbox.com/users/homepagenowcom