[RC5] Spam protection

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 11:12:41 EDT 1999

> A simple solution might be to just obfuscate emails when they are
> displayed, translating '@' to '<at>' or equivalent, and don't have any
> mailto: links.  I don't know how smart spam-bots are for this sort of
> thing.  Alternatively, the practice in newsgroups of doing something like
> "totty at DELETE.TO.REPLY.powersurfr.com" might be sufficient as well.

Maybe take the same approach as is done on the uk.* hierarchy on
Usenet.  When results of a CFV are published, they are published WITH
EMAIL ADDRESSES, but they are obfuscated randomly.  The @ sign is
generally replaced with a randomly selected punctuation mark, as are
the dots in the domains.

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

   "Sometimes he would berate chestnuts for being lazy"

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net