[RC5] spam

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 19:28:31 EDT 1999

Denie Andriessen said:

>> Use a technique similar to those of web-page counters... create a
>> script that converts the email address text to a GIF.  Problem
>> solved.
>
> Very good idea.. This would make the automated harvesting of those
> emails quite impossible.

It would still be rather easy actually, although admittedly it would be
more work for the spammer.  Once you know the font being used and have
a sample of every character in that font (easy) it would not be hard to
write a program to compare blocks of pixels with those which are
already known and to reconstruct the email addresses.

It's just about the simplest form of image recognition.

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the
 kind of person I'm preaching to."
    -- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net