[RC5] DES IV -- happening

Greg Hewgill greg at hewgill.com
Sat Jun 19 13:06:47 EDT 1999

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 07:01:20PM -0500, Dave wrote:
> I believe they've stopped the contests. When we broke DES-III, they decided
> to make another algorithm called AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) and I
> guess that will replace DES and I think they'll probably start phasing out
> DES. Any thoughts?

AES stands for Advanced Encryption Standard and is somewhat like a contest in
itself. Different crypto vendors have submitted algorithms to NIST (US National
Institute of Standards and Technology, part of the US Commerce Department), and
NIST will choose a "winner" which will be used to replace DES in the federal
government recommendations.

RSA's entry is their RC6 algorithm. More information on AES and RC6 can be
found at the following urls:

  NIST:    http://www.nist.gov/aes/
  RSA:     http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/aes/

The AES candidates are symmetric block ciphers. The minimum requirements are a
block size of 128 bits, and key sizes of 128, 192, and 256 bits (other
combinations are possible but not required). Based on these parameters, it is
unlikely that distributed.net will attempt even the 128-bit key version of the
eventual AES winner, for quite some time.

Greg Hewgill
http://www.hewgill.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net