[RC5] spam

Marc Warne marc at alphapro.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 20:12:29 EDT 1999

In message <Pine.LNX.4.04.9906182112540.19120-100000 at localhost>
          David Taylor <rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Scott I. Remick wrote:
>
> > Use a technique similar to those of web-page counters... create a script
> > that converts the email address text to a GIF.  Problem solved.
>
> PHP3 even comes with an example of dynamically generated images, and i'm
> sure it could be converted to *statically* generate the images once a day
> during a stats update.   CPU usage might be a bit high though..

[snip]

Please no! It's a very interesting idea, but will take up more disc space.

The main reason I think it would not work is that some people grab e-mail
addresses from the members pages for legitimate reasons. For example, a
program I run grabs members pages from distributed.net, processes them
and sends it out to members. It'd be almost impossible to do this if all
the addresses were GIFs.

All the best,

        Marc Warne
--