[RC5] Spam ideas

Andreas Beckmann andreas.beckmann at student.uni-halle.de
Sun Jun 20 19:25:00 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: David Taylor <rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk>
To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Date: Saturday, June 19, 1999 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [RC5] Spam ideas

>How about changing the default way of listing you to your participant ID,
>so you need to *request* your email is visible, instead of the other way
>around?

But where can new participants find their IDs?
Statsbox would have to send an email to every new participant. This mail should contain the ID and explain the procedure to change the default settings etc.
But imagine, someone mispelled his address and waits for the mail. Searching for an abbreviated form of the mail address could result in a list of perhaps 20 "Participant 123456", without giving senseful information.

psummary.php3 shows currently still shows your email address. This won't be so harmful because the harvester will have to get one html page per email address.

BTW, is it senseful to allow the majordomo at ... who <list> command? This reports lots of addresses! rc5@, proxyper@ and plans@ are listable, announce@ is not listable - "**** List 'announce' is a private list. **** Only members of the list can do a 'who'." I'm reading announce@!. Others not testet.

Andreas

-----
CPU time is a terrible thing to waste!
Join the world's fastest computer - http://www.distributed.net - Team #11292