[RC5] spam

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 10:43:12 EDT 1999

>                                                           A simpler way
> of preventing much of the harvesting would be to send the addresses as
> HTML ampersand codes, like @, which will render as an address when
> viewed as a human but will not show up as addresses when read as a file.
> Any browser worth using will support the use of such codes (including
> lynx).  This solution, however, would increase the average page size in
> exchange for an increase in the number of server hits as above.

Good idea.  I assume most harvesters won't catch that - although again,
parsing it out would be trivial.  The page size increase would be
minute - it is unlikely to even need a single extra packet to be sent
(and therefore no impact on the server).  The only exception would be
the 'top 100 participants today' page, which would become perhaps a few
packets bigger.

--
David - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

" First, there are no rules; second, if you break any of
  them, you will be treated to some classic British sarcasm "
   From the uk.rec.climbing FAQ

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net