[RC5] Keyrate on a P3?

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Wed Jun 23 17:10:26 EDT 1999

There's no grater loss of privacy with a processor serial number than there
is with a network card. They both have unique, software-readable serial
numbers. Tell me, do you have a network card installed right now? If
somebody wanted to, they could use it as a "universal cookie" to track you
just like a processor serial number.

This whole privacy debate surrounding the PIII was started by uninformed
people and spread by an uninformed press. In fact, the PIII architecture
ENHANCES privacy by providing a true hardware random-number generator based
on thermal noise. This allows for truly random selection of encryption
keys... the PIII enhances privacy.

That said, I would expect the PIII to be, say, 5% faster than a similarly
clocked PII. My 2-way PII-Xeon 450 (2MB cache per chip) seems to be about 10
percent faster than my 2-way PII-450, but the CPUs cost 10 times as much!

	-ryan-