[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #287

Pål Sollie sollie at saint-etienne.no
Mon May 31 21:18:39 EDT 1999

Hmm - I seem to have hitten the send button on accident there. The
rest goes:

It's taking some time, yes, but how long will it take before relativly
common CPU's are powerful enough to crack the RC5-64 in a much shorter
period of time?

Let's say that all the 170 000 people involved in this since the
beginning were running the client on one computer each, and more or
less similar to my hardware-setup.  I'm running the client on a Dual
PII-450, doing 2.25MKeys/Sec on average.

That would give us 328.5 (I think) Gkeys/Sec. That's alot of keys.
Let's face it: It's only a matter of time before hardware is fast
enough and reasonably cheap before cracking RC5-64 is a trivial task.

Pål Sollie at saint-etienne.no

If they send one of yours to the hospital,
you send one of them to the morgue.
                     - Sean Connery, The Untouchables

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net