[RC5] One file per block (etc)

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Sat May 1 13:18:27 EDT 1999

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Zypher wrote:
> Two words: pak files. Quake (and the programs that followed, such as
> Quake II and Halflife :) use them.

But do they have a file locking mechanism?  Using simple files will work
regardless of what network you have.  An ipx-only client could process
blocks that are stored on a novell or linux server.  Somoeone also
complained that using files would consume lots of space.  If you have 1000
RC5 blocks and your clusters are 4K, that's only 4M of disk space.  Bigger
clusters occur only on bigger hard drives where that shouldn't be a
significant loss.

--
</chris>

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them
down?  We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net