[RC5] Re: CPU Heat Dissipation

Zypher zypher at clanusr.com
Tue May 4 18:49:58 EDT 1999

60C is much too hot :) Your system would likely lock up well before this
(40C or so)

Is this 60C specified as case temp or internal cpu? Your cpu tends to be
anywhere from 10-50% hotter than the case...even then it is up there.
Some cpus are spec'ed up to 90C (if you really buy that) but the rest of the
system surely isn't.
Cooler is better, it will extend the life of your cpu. Very cold (-40 or
more) is faster, but thats for people with more free time/cash than I have.

Mine runs from 75-100F (case, BH6 does not have cpu thermisitor header...and
its hot down here in Texas ;) with loads of crap inside of it...
Try out a monitor program to get an idea of what your system ranges at.

You could try taking the case cover off. Some setups will cool better this
way, while ohers like mine do best with the cover on. I've noticed the more
fans you have, its usually 'cover-on-optimal', and vice versa. If its really
bad, head to wal-mart or [insert your local houseware place here] and grab a
16" room fan. Aim inside the case with the cover off (not TOO close :) and
use canned air to clean out the dust once a month.

Hey, the list admin is being pretty open now...must have had a good week ;)
zypher at clanusr.com
www.halflife.net/rc5
"No, not bad spelling, bad typing"
All_Red_Packets