[RC5] Key Rate Question

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Wed May 5 18:00:43 EDT 1999

At 10:21 PM 04/05/99 , you wrote:
>The RC5-64 FAQ says :
>   Why are the Cyrix and AMD chips faster than my Intel Pentium?
>
>   The Cyrix and AMD/Nextgen designers worked hard to increase the
>   efficiency of their integer math components since integer
>   math forms the basis for so much of the computing that goes
>   on in the real world. As it happens RC5 uses strictly integer
>   operations so it enjoys an added boost when running on
>   these processors.
>
>But my experience has been the opposite. Anyone see similar results?
>
>I have a AMD K62-450 running Solaris 7 that keys 750,000 keys/sec. I
>expected something over a million.

Well that was true.. except that Pentiums were sped up by MMX Cores, which AMD
Chips aren't terribly good at. Pentium II's, III's, and Pro's were sped up by
some optimizations there that also helped out and weren't present on the AMD
chips. So really that FAQ entry is a bit old.
--
"The game leaves out one much-needed feature: the ability to have
Blizzard contact your friends and relatives every few days and let

    -3d Gaming Net, referring to Starcraft: Brood War

Chris
http://home.inforamp.net/~tridus

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net