[RC5] Key Rate Question

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Wed May 5 17:10:43 EDT 1999

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Aaron Kramer wrote:

> The RC5-64 FAQ says :
>    Why are the Cyrix and AMD chips faster than my Intel Pentium?

[..]
> But my experience has been the opposite. Anyone see similar results?
>
> I have a AMD K62-450 running Solaris 7 that keys 750,000 keys/sec. I
> expected something over a million.

	My 6x86-200+ (150 MHz) ran 360kk/s RC5, which is nearly twice what
the Pentium 150 would crank out, and exceeded even the Pentium 200. The
difference between my 6x86M2-233 (200 MHz) and a Pentium 200 MMX is less
pronounced, but the Cyrix still has a slight edge. Any of the sixth-gen
Intel processors (PPro, PII, PIII, Celeron) will toast the Cyrix, though.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  'Do not expose your LaserWriter to naked flame...'

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net