[RC5] Amiga task priorities

Ilmari Karonen iltzu at sci.fi
Fri May 7 19:20:03 EDT 1999

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Roby Van Hoye wrote:
> I already guessed something like that, although you could go from -127 to
> 128 I think -20 to 20 were to be considered the outer limits of real-life
> situations. (I guess a process running at -100 will still get whetever CPU

Well, there's some important system task (input.device? I'm starting to
forget the details) running at +20 which you usually don't want to block,
so most applications are forcet to stay below that. Also, the older
kickstarts had some bugs in the switcher that could lead to tasks above
that priority hogging the CPU even more than they should, IIRC.

However, there's no such limit on the negative side. Several system
monitors run an idle task at -128, so slopsuckers like the d.net client
should probably have a higher priority, or at least an option for that. On
the other hand, at least one program I used a lot had tasks running at
-60 (HippoPlayer 'scopes) and I'm sure there are others. So the proper
default priority for the client should IMHO be around -100.

--
'""Jy!z"!z"g"Wo6p!nz"'z!ai""""``-. ,-''Ilmari"Karonen"(iltzu at sci.fi)``-. ,-'
  yffb:\\mmm'zc!'t!\_!rfsn\       X     http://www.sci.fi/~iltzu/       X

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net