[RC5] Key Rate Question

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Thu May 6 20:16:11 EDT 1999

Sean Porterfield (sporte at esn.net) wrote:

> I have an AMD K6-2/350 running Linux (Red Hat 5.1) that gets around 590Kk/s
> which is comparable to my Intel PII-266 running Win95.  That indicates to me
> that the Intel chip is faster.  (Although when I compile, it seems faster on
> the AMD...)

The most important thing to remember here is that RC5 benchmarks are
generally *not* a good indicator of overall system speed for other
applications.  RC5 uses a very limited set of instructions ("add" and
"rotate", basically); CPUs which perform these operations very quickly
(PowerPC, Intel x86) will do quite well at cracking RC5, but may or may
not be great at other things (cracking DES, compiling, etc.).

For most applications, a K6-2 at 350 MHz should be faster than a
Pentium II at 266 MHz.  RC5 is simply an exception.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge at kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net