[RC5] Re: CPU Heat Dissipation

Keith McLaurin skmac at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 6 23:04:48 EDT 1999

I have a Pentium 166 which works fine all the way 1o
85C without any
problems. Temp. is measured at center of heatsink with
thermocouple. Some processors have more margin or
ability to withstand heat than others -

Your miles may be different.  486 processors often ran
with surface temps of 100C without any heatsinks - but
they were designed that way.

I wonder why Intel doesn't publish any specs on CPU
temperature?? How to measure it and what the reduction
in life is as a function of temperature?  Most of these
CPU chips will last much longer than the mechanical fan
used to cool it (IMO)

Regards...