[RC5] So long RC5, hello SETI

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Tue May 18 22:43:14 EDT 1999

Richard Menedetter (ricsi at bigfoot.com) wrote:

>  NH> The damned RC5 slows the computer down so much.
> Sorry .... but this is not true ... (at least for the linux and win version)
> they run at idle priority, so they take only CPU time, if the CPU is idle ...
> so they (nearly) don't slow down the computer.

This is not a true statement in all cases.

Under Windows 3.1, depending on the applications you're using, you might
notice a *tremendous* slow-down with the RC5/DES client running.  I did.

(With Linux, though, there is not a noticeable performance issue.)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge at kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net