[RC5] seti project

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Tue May 18 18:56:51 EDT 1999

> What worried me is that, while running it and having a look with WinNT
> task manager, it appears to spend about 50% of it's time in kernel mode.
> What on earth is it doing making so many API calls?

In NT4, MS decided to move the graphics subsystem into kernel mode
because it would 'improve graphical performance'.  Why graphical
performance matters on a server is beyond me.  [the fact that this
means you're more likely to crash the entire system is another matter,
suffice to say that IME, NT 3.51 was more stable]

>                                                  I would have thought
> that the dominant activity of doing calculations wouldall be in user
> mode in the app, and that making large numbers of windows calls degrades
> performance appreciably. Any ideas?

Quite.  The only people who will benefit by the GDI being moved into
the kernel are those who hammer the graphics.  And they should be using
Win9x (for games) or SGI's Visual Workstations if they want _serious_
graphics on a PC.

--
David - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

" First, there are no rules; second, if you break any of
  them, you will be treated to some classic British sarcasm "
   From the uk.rec.climbing FAQ

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net