[RC5] seti project

Kevin Nelson knelson at netroplex.com
Thu May 20 00:06:56 EDT 1999

The reason why had to do with how directly the graphics were being dealt
with. They actually saved half the time otherwise needed to perform a
graphics operation by moving the drivers into the kernel.

The HAL is part of the kernel. If the driver was outside the kernel, the
application would have to make an API call to the kernel to initiate an
action. The kernel would then have to communication to the driver for info,
wait for the response, then communicate back to the application, before the
application would send a single byte for processing.

As for graphical performance needs on a server, well, just take a look at
Performance Monitor. Properly set up, it can show very quickly what a list
of numbers would take a long time to show... but a decent graphics card
would do a lot to ease that problem.

Kevin

The Arch-enemy of Micronerdsoft.