[RC5] So long RC5, hello SETI

Attila Csipa bear at tippnet.co.yu
Fri May 21 02:25:46 EDT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999 23:34:52 -0300
Romulo Cholewa <rmc at rmc.eti.br> wrote:

> Both d.net clients (Windows and UNIX) have an impact in performance. I
> tested it on a Dual PII 333 MHz, with 384 MB of RAM. This machine is a Game
> Server (I work for an ISP). When the d.net client is active, the "ping"
> times from the clients go crazy. Exiting the client makes the ping stable
> (tested under NTS4 and RedHat Linux Hedwig).

I also had problems when running it under a dual P2 (there were some
complaints from another dual machine user a little while ago), so that
might be a problem source. OTOH I have some very positive experiences as
well. For example on a 486DX2/66 server I have web/ftp/mail/news/telnet
services with both rc5 proxy and clients running, and some heavy stats
processing in the background as well and it runs like a charm. And if a
486 can do it I don't see how a server which is magnitudes faster can
cause problems unless there is some specific problem with either the OS
or the hardware.

Attila Csipa
Team Prometheus coordinator
Distributed.net regional representative for Yugoslavia

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net