[RC5] So long RC5, hello SETI

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Sat May 22 16:16:42 EDT 1999

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Andrew wrote:

> Same story on NT4. rc5 just runs as a service in the background and
> doesn't slow anything down one little bit.Under Linux its the same. I
> think its just the dos based os's like windows 3.1 that have problems
> as they were not realy designed for multitasking.

RC5 will affect your somewhat performance on any stock operating system.

NT - Various apps are slowed down -- particularly installers.

Linux - It will take up some percentage of the CPU unless you install
idle-only patches.  We're doing this on all our linux boxes now so we can
put rc5 back on our big production boxes.

95 - all sorts of stuff is affected to a minor degree.  Printing is slowed
down significantly in some cases.  PhotoShop is slowed signficantly.

This is a fact of life.  In most cases it doesn't make much difference.
But it does make a difference.  And in some cases it is a significant
slowdown.

--
</chris>

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them
down?  We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net