[RC5] So long RC5, hello SETI

Ben Ketteridge ben.ketteridge at proact.net
Mon May 24 09:56:17 EDT 1999

Obviously, YMMV (your mileage may vary), but my understanding is that
"proper"
operating systems (like *nix) are likely to balance the load better than
your average (i.e. MS) PC operating system. With the exception of specific
MP versions of Dec Ultrix which were brain-dead from the start. ;-)

> NT - Various apps are slowed down -- particularly installers.
I run RC5 as a service on an NT4 (SP5) box, and do notice a significant slow
down - at least enough that I switch RC5 off during working hours.
However, regarding installers, the worst culprit is anything that uses the
NT 16bit subsystem - e.g. MAPISP.DLL (as used by Outlook for example). This
can
effectively stop installers running until terminated, at which point they
run
as normal.

> Linux - It will take up some percentage of the CPU unless you install
> idle-only patches.  We're doing this on all our Linux boxes now so we can
> put rc5 back on our big production boxes.
>
> 95 - all sorts of stuff is affected to a minor degree.  Printing is slowed
> down significantly in some cases.  PhotoShop is slowed significantly.
Yes, I noticed this kind of problem in the days when I still used Win95.

> This is a fact of life.  In most cases it doesn't make much difference.
> But it does make a difference.  And in some cases it is a significant
> slowdown.
See my points above. As I have suggested in the past, more effective control
over process priority would be useful in the NT version. Note, task manager
does not work, before anyone suggests it, :-)

Tara,
Ben.

| Dr Ben Ketteridge: ben.ketteridge at proact.net, ObjectLab Group |
| ProAct International, PO Box 100, Denbigh. Tel: 01745 817161. |
|"Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If he's a Mac|
| user he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy |
European Anti-Spam Petition - http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net