[RC5] idle-only patches (was: So long RC5, hello SETI)

Rik van Riel riel at nl.linux.org
Wed May 26 22:43:07 EDT 1999

On 26 May 1999, Roland E. Lipovits wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.05.9905221444320.25260-100000 at yakko.chicks.net>,
> Christopher Hicks <rc5 at lists.distributed.net> wrote:
> >Linux - It will take up some percentage of the CPU unless you install
> >idle-only patches.  We're doing this on all our linux boxes now so we can
> >put rc5 back on our big production boxes.
>
> Could you please give a pointer to these idle-only patches?

There's a potential deadlock problem with the idle-only patches,
but I'll produce a patch if people want it.

Because of a lack of time I'll probably just add a switch or
a compile time choice so root can switch off the option if
there's fear of deadlocks...

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.
| Le Reseau netwerksystemen BV:               http://www.reseau.nl/ |
| Linux Memory Management site:   http://www.linux.eu.org/Linux-MM/ |
| Nederlandse Linux documentatie:          http://www.nl.linux.org/ |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net