[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #287

Nico Schmoigl schmoigl at rumms.uni-mannheim.de
Fri May 28 22:28:08 EDT 1999

Hi!

> Well that's it for me. After 30000 blocks and 180 days I'm retiring. I know this
> is small compared to most peoples efforts, but it seems alot to me! I mean, I
> know rc5 runs in the background so you can forget about it, but checking the
> stats page first thing in the morning, wondering how I could increase my keyrate
> and general key cracking anxiety became a way of life for me. When I read emails
> by fresh young crackers excited and enthusiastic about keyrates and all that, my
> heart fills with longing for the time when I felt that buzz. Will they be as
> keen in 180 days? After deciding to give up rc5 I felt a great wait(spelling
> intended) off my shoulders - I mean it is taking rather a long time isn't it?
> Aren't we in danger of proving to governments that 64bit encryption restrictions
> are in fact sufficient? In the words of I'm sure many famous songs, Does anyone
> feel the way I do????????

yes, I can confirm your thoughts and feelings. It does not make
sense cracking a single message with thousands of maschines
and even taking more than a year get it. Information which are older
than some weeks are not interesting any more!
Ok, getting the news in several hours or even days (sometime
weeks) would make sense, but even a month is much too long.
Even with increased keyrate power that does not make sense in
the future since it is quite easy to add another bit to your key and
then your cracking problem is even worse.

Imagine: PGP currently uses keys with about 2048 bits. That are 32
times more than we currently are trying to crack in several years!

I have not given up yet cracking rc5-blocks. I think the idea, using
idle processor time for doing something useful, is good! But the
current task is not very useful. In my eyes we have shown that RC5-
64 can not be cracked by the bruteforce-methode. You, as a
criminal cracker, can not rely on thousands of cracking maschines
running your tasks because an operator would look for what is
going on if he/she sees that the CPU is running at 100% of its
capacity.

I think it is very high time to move to another task that makes more
sense. Sciense task seem to be very useful altough not making any
money.
>From the current number of retirements you can see that the peak
of interest has gone away. Other projects get interest as they seem
to be more useful (I do not think that the SETI project is more useful
either, because the odds getting a message from Unknown are
even less than cracking the RC5 contest).

These are on my 2 cents, so I expect getting flames :)

But what are your ideas about that? Is distributed.net going down
slowly?

73
  Nico

EMail: schmoigl at rumms.uni-mannheim.de
PGP-fingerprint: 5DDB 09E4 3FF3 CD09 7559  1117 9C03 46E3 38FC 9E03

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net