[RC5] Macintosh

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun May 30 22:50:39 EDT 1999

At 11:00 AM -0400 5/30/1999, Michael Clark wrote:

>My question stands though, does anyone out there have any comments on
>running the Distributed.Net RC5 client? I am interested in all aspects of
>running the software, such as installation, system resource usage, etc...
>Since the faceless clients are dated July 1998 and the GUI clients are
>Jan/Feb 1999 I am sure that someone must be using them. Is there a mailing
>list for Macintosh distributed software users? I thought there used to be
>but I can't find it now. Thanks for any help or pointers. Mike

Installation is a breeze. Uncompress, double click, and configure.
The only thing that requires any effort is putting an alias of the
app in the Startup Items folder.

The faceless client crashes machines with Mac OS 8.5 or newer. A new
faceless client was promised (in November I think), but has yet to
surface.

With Mac OS 8.5 and earlier, it is very smart about using system
resources. With the advent of 8.6, it does almost nothing when
sitting in the background, even if not much is happening in the
foreground. Again, a fix has been promised, but I haven't seen it. It
is also about 10% slower under 8.6 unless you quit the Finder.

I am not aware of a mailing list, but would love to hear about one if
you get info.

-- Gary L. Gray
    Assistant Professor
    Engineering Science & Mechanics