[RC5] [suggest] Control + Clients

Dan Oetting oetting at gldmutt.cr.usgs.gov
Mon Nov 15 22:03:39 EST 1999

At 11:34 -0500 11/14/1999, Neil Duffee wrote:

>I believe that, within the current mixed environment of clients, the
>server(s) should be handing out blocks (from the current address
>space) in a binary search pattern rather than the current sequential,
>beginning-to-end order.
>Even with the 100's of thousands of clients running, the address space
>is sufficiently large that collisions are likely small.  Except, of
>course, when nearing the close of a particular address space.

30,208,349 blocks were completed yesterday. At this rate d.net can complete
a 56 bit subspace in less than 9 days. In the begining of this 9 day cycle
blocks are distributed with a wide spacing but it soon degenerates and the
last half of the subspace is distributed with the blocks only 2 blocks
apart and the interveining blocks were distributed in the first half of the
cycle. Not much gained for the added complexity.

-- Dan Oetting <oetting at ghtmail.cr.usgs.gov>

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net