[RC5] Re: loadwatch and dnetc

Peter Bortas peter at idonex.se
Wed Nov 24 20:23:21 EST 1999

Stephan Niemz <st.n at gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 04:57:06PM +0200, Ville Nummela wrote:
> > I've used loadwatch to pause the rc5 client while the computer is doing
> > something else. Does anyone have a clue why it doesn't work with the
> > new dnetc clients, and is there any way to make it work?
>
>     Rc5 or dnetc already runs at the lowest priority unless you configured
> it not to do so. So what sense does it make to use yet another tool to
> control resources? The kernel does that job pretty well (hopefully, at
> least), since dnetc/rc5 uses almost no other resources than CPU time.
> (Only one meg memory and a few bytes of disk I/O every once in a while.)

Current Linux-kernels at least does not handle this good enough. There
is a idle-only priority patch around, but it is not in Linus kernel
yet. So, yes, there is a reason to run other tools to control this if
you are picky about your computrons.

--
Peter Bortas                   http://peter.bortas.org
Idonex AB                      http://www.idonex.com