[RC5] Re: loadwatch and dnetc

Ville Nummela vige at hameenlinna.cx
Wed Nov 24 09:26:17 EST 1999

Stephan Niemz wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 04:57:06PM +0200, Ville Nummela wrote:
> > I've used loadwatch to pause the rc5 client while the computer is doing
> > something else. Does anyone have a clue why it doesn't work with the
> > new dnetc clients, and is there any way to make it work?
>
>     Rc5 or dnetc already runs at the lowest priority unless you configured
> it not to do so. So what sense does it make to use yet another tool to
> control resources? The kernel does that job pretty well (hopefully, at
> least), since dnetc/rc5 uses almost no other resources than CPU time.
> (Only one meg memory and a few bytes of disk I/O every once in a while.)

The fact is that it still does use some resources. I think this has been
discussed on this list quite a few times, and that was not the point of my
original message. The point is that it could be stopped with loadwatch but it
can't be anymore. This is a big step backwards.
Note: I tested stopping it with kill -TSTP, that did work.. weird.

--
 |   vnummela at lut.fi work: +358-5-4125389 home: +358-40-5075560     |
 |     IRC naturae alienum est! Periculosum est! Delendum est!      |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net