Ref:RE: [RC5] CSC

Claude.Saam at alcatel.fr Claude.Saam at alcatel.fr
Thu Nov 25 13:51:01 EST 1999

"Filipe Joel Almeida" <fja at mail.nbporto.novabase.pt> wrote :

> I wouldn't use it im my machine, of course. The client I have is good enough
> for me... but I go crazy thinking about the people I could bring into the
> team if I could show them a nice, pretty graphical interface that 'showed'
> them that they're helping to working on something 'real important' although
> they don't understand what the Hell means what shows up in the screen.

i do totally agree on that one
i use to publish some statistics taken from the statbox and forward it by mail to people using the client, and get lots of support just by doing this
some people used to have the old gui client, and now they miss the cute moo sound ...

it think the few kks lost by a graphical output would be easely compensated by the number of new users we could bring into the project. Of course this is a user point of view, i don't have to develop, maintain and port the Gui on many platforms. Why not
just do a windows client with gui (i guess most of the users who 'need' useless graphics and sound are windows users :), or a real-time grapher based on the logs the actual client does, with connection to the internet for aggregate statistics, and so on

dnet should really consider this, and mesure the cost in time and kkeys compared to the advertising made by a nice-colored-3D-Surround Stereo client...

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net