[RC5] Problem with buffer limits

Zypher zypher at jknust.com
Wed Oct 27 01:23:09 EDT 1999

You're telling me...I once got the chance to install the client on a quad
xeon p2-400...boy could it crank out keys. Hit randoms quick each day, I
gave up on buffers. Back when we only had ~5-6% of keypace, this meant on
average I only lost 5-6% of keyrate to random blocks ;) I later found a
semi-easy way out...set up a perproxy. I added one on the quad box, it
served as a http and mailserver ~40 P166s on a local lan anyway.

Too bad I left 3 weeks later, and some dork wiped the hds (he didn't
understand raid setups *at all* took one hd out of a raid5 set of 6, put a
different one in, didn't reconfigure the hardware, and thought it was
'broken' ...reformatted them all :/ boy they were sorry I moved...he was my
replacement :) they had to reinstall everything, and since I wasn't there to
be an 'advocate' again for rc5, it didn't get permission the second time :/