[RC5] Problem with buffer limmits.

Graeme Simms gsimms at icon.co.za
Wed Oct 27 15:15:39 EDT 1999

Hi,

Didn't realise there was a buffer limit..

I've noticed in the rc5des v2.7112.444-CTR-99092203 client for Win32
(Windows 4.10) that running a benchmark test no longer suggests an
appropriate block size or buffer values for a 3 day period.

I relied on this feature to choose the most appropriate settings for the
clients I used..  without it, I fear running out of blocks or using the
wrong blocksize  :(

I was thinking about this and realised the perproxy folk had similar
problems..  The solution in the proxies is to add some sort of "artificial
intelligence" that calculates or estimates rather how many blocks to fetch
based on what is requested.  I think it would be very useful to implement
this feature into the client, with advanced users naturally being able to
override it if they need to.

It would be useful for beginners who don't understand the complexities of
buffer and block sizes, allowing them to install and forget just about.  The
client would then decide how many buffers to get based on how often it is
able to connect to the server and how often it runs.  This would avoid
duping random blocks, and increase reliability.

Moo!
 Graeme.