[RC5] RE: Shared Buffer Files

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Wed Oct 27 16:14:18 EDT 1999

>Next, how can I set up the shared buffer files....I think it would really
>help my admin/maintenance headache for bovine!

I just put the Windows CLI client (rc5des.exe) and rc5des.ini in a shared directory (something like \\servername\d.net\) on my NT file server. Every one of our network users has read access to this directory, and everyone has read/write access to the buffer files in this directory.

I configured the .ini file in this directory to buffer 500 blocks at the largest possible blocksize (2^33 keys).

Then, I put this in the global login script:

"\\servername\d.net\rc5des.exe -hide"

So now, the client starts for every user when they log in, using the shared buffer files. The Network OS (NT in my case) handles file locking, so that the clients don't step on one another when accessing the buffer files. If one client locks a buffer file, and then another one tries to access it, the CLI client automatically waits a few seconds and then tries to access the buffer again.

Note that all of my client machines have internet access, so that the first client which finds buff-in "empty" will fetch new blocks from the internet for all the clients to use.

If all your client machines don't have internet access, you could run the clients with the -runoffline switch in addtion to -hide. You would then need at least one machine (the server maybe?) running without that switch and internet access to fill/flush the buffers when necessary.

Another advantage of this technique is that it's simple to "turn off" the client on a network wide basis by simply taking it out of the global login script. A disadvantage is that the client will not run on machines which are sitting at a login prompt, as it would if the d.net software were installed as a service. However, my clients are rarely at the windows login prompt, since everyone turns their machines on when the get in and turn them off when they go home.

If your clients are running 24/7, you'll probably want to install rc5des.exe as a service on each machine to get the maximum keyrate, and set up a personal proxy to feed keys to clients that aren't connected to the internet.

Hope this helps,
	-ryan-

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net