[RC5] Problem with buffer limits.

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Thu Oct 28 13:48:05 EDT 1999

As a point of interest, this is part of the reason why we have the
buffer limits. Every single block that's returned to our network
produces a certain amount of overhead, not matter what size it it.
That's why we added first 2^31 then 2^33 blocks; to reduce our
network load. We've also discussed removing the smaller block sizes
(ie: 2^28 and 2^29), although there are not plans to do that at this
time.

Unless you're running a *very* slow machine like a 386, please use at
least 2^30 blocks or higher. It makes the client slightly more effecient
(less CPU cycles spent on network operations), it reduces the load on
our proxies and the master, it reduced the bandwidth used by the proxies
and master (a very good thing, since all of our bandwidth is donated),
and (perhapse most important to many of you :P), it speeds up the stats
run.

Moo!
dB!
distributed.net Human Interface