[RC5] Different distributed cryptography challenge..

Juergen Bethke Jo.Bo at gmx.de
Thu Sep 2 22:17:43 EDT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:37:27 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Jon Nathan wrote:
>
>> This might be of interest to many of us.. more info is at
>>
>> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~harley/ecdl6/readMe.html
>
>I really hope that these ad-hoc crypto contests won't take too
>much development effort away from the scientific projects like
>OGR...

I would like to see, that we are more flexible to quickly tackle new
contests. It would proove the concept of our clients (just add new cores and
use the same other infrastructure - that's how I understand it).

I prefere a mixture between scientific contests (OGR) and commercial
contests (RC5, DES, CSC or the contest above), and the chance to set
priorities for the different projects.

What dissapoints me currently is the lack of information about CSC or OGR.
I understand that time of the key people is limited, I don't want to blame
them (they do a good job), but why can't the distributed comunity help in
things like
* Evaluate if it's worth to start the CSC contest
* Run sample benchmark runs with new clients, etc.

CSC was mentioned 3 month ago (?) and is due in 6 month, I think we have
lost some time.

Best regards
Jürgen
--