[RC5] What CPU works best? Also PGP help wanted/ideas...

Alex Bischoff abischof at vt.edu
Wed Sep 1 18:11:35 EDT 1999

At 10:03 PM 8-31-1999 , you wrote:
>Anyway, this reminds me: some time ago when I asked whether any efforts
>were being put towards making use of 3dnow! instructions for RC5, it was
>said that the installed base didn't warrant the effort. Is that still the
>case?

My understanding is that because the 3dNow accelerates floating point
(unlike mmx, which helps integer math) not much could be done with it :(.

However (and I really like this idea) because 3dNow is a separate pipeline,
it's been theorized that integer math could be simulated with the 3dNow's
floating point instructions, yielding a slight keyrate increase :).

PS Any word on the Athlon core?

  Alex Bischoff, KB3BZG
 mailto:abischof at vt.edu             http://www.vt.edu:10021/A/abischof/
export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-2-lines-PERL
Proof That There Is Strength In Numbers --> http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net