[RC5] What CPU works best?

Dan Oetting oetting at gldmutt.cr.usgs.gov
Tue Sep 7 14:34:17 EDT 1999

At 1:24 -0400 9/7/1999, Michael K. Weise wrote:

>Hmm. . . I suppose it's only a matter of time until a d.net project comes
>along that needs FP math. Then AMD CPUs will have their chance to shine in
>the stats.

The "Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search" (GIMPS) computes the function:

    M_p = 2^p - 1;
    for (i = 2, S = 4; i < p, i++) S = (S * S - 2) mod M_p;
    if (S == 0) printf("M_p is prime");

using sine, cosine, square root and a few other floating point functions
because it's
faster than using integer arithmetic.

Is this the project you are looking for?

--
Dan Oetting <dan_oetting at comug.com>

PowerPC 603/604/750 -- Still the fastest RC5 core on the net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net