[RC5] Performance increases with asm optimization?

Dan Oetting oetting at gldmutt.cr.usgs.gov
Wed Sep 8 12:30:17 EDT 1999

At 4:31 -0700 9/8/1999, David Bourgeois wrote:
>Greetings fellow crackers,
>
>I know it will vary depending on the processor/OS, but
>does anyone have general numbers (or percents) on how much faster clients
>are now versus what they would be if only written in C.

In my own experience I wrote my first core for the v1 client in C that was
only 10% slower than the current hand optimized assembly. My first assembly
code core was 11% faster than the current core and a subsequent
optimization gained an additional 11%.

The total improvement of assembly over C in this case is a little over 32%.

>Thanks.
>David Bourgeois
>if(question!=appropiate){while(x<1000000)apologize();x++;}
Since you failed to initialize x there is a probability that you would not
apologize() otherwize you are trapped in an infinite loop because the x++
is outside the loop!

--
Dan Oetting <dan_oetting at comug.com>

PowerPC 603/604/750 -- Still the fastest RC5 core on the net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net