[RC5] Problem with University computers for client

David McNett nugget at distributed.net
Fri Sep 10 10:01:06 EDT 1999

On 09-Sep-1999, Alex Bischoff wrote:
> Another possible suggestion could be that we simply refuse any prize
> money from d.net, if we win. This has the same basic problem as the
> first suggestion -- namely, that someone would still be profiting form
> VA state computers (d.net and the chosen charity, in this case).

The only thing that comes to mind is that if you guys find the key and
do not opt to collect the prize money, then the only entities who will
be receiving funds (namely the voted non-profit and distributed.net)
are both tax-exempt, non-profit entities.  I would hope that that makes
the situation at least slightly more acceptable to the decisionmakers
at your site.

If that's not sufficient, then it sounds like you probably shouldn't
run the client.  While we'd be glad to let you remain anonymous if you
guys find the key, that still violates the restriction to have you running
the client.

|David McNett          |To ensure privacy and data integrity this message|
|nugget at distributed.net|has been encrypted by using dual rounds of ROT-13|
|Birmingham, AL USA    |finger nugget at distributed.net for my news and pgp|